Saturday, September 12, 2009

Can Dial up be any more frustrating

Can dial up be more frustrating? I doubt it, It has taken me 56 minutes to get logged into my blog!!

I've had a lot of great learning experiences this week. We learned about the Fibonacci Sequence. I found online that by definition the first two numbers of the sequence are 0 and 1. Each number following is the sum of the two previous numbers. Our text book omits the zero as do many other sources. In order to solve the pattern you add the 0 + 1 and you get the next # which is 1. If you add 1 + 1 you get the next # which is 2. I found it very interesting to see the images of this pattern found in nature.
I f you'd like to see the Fibonacci numbers in nature this is a good website http://britton.disted.camosun.bc.ca/fibslide/jbfibslide.htm. I really don't remember ever hearing of the Fibonacci sequence before, but since discussing it in our math class I have heard it mentioned a few times.
We discussed it in art the other day as an example of how to use art to bridge the gap with other subjects. By using the Fibonacci sequence you can visually see the math pattern.
I found Gauss' trick to be really interesting too. I showed my sons how to solve these and they actually were interested in it. Math can actually be fun when you have a better understanding of why and how things are solved. You can find a video explaining this trick on YouTube, titled "Sum of Counting Numbers Trick."

1 comment:

  1. A tip for dial-up ... write the posts in Word, then paste them into your blog at school. (I suffered through dial-up for 6 months in 2004 believe it or not - then I got satellite Internet)

    ReplyDelete